Saturday 21 January 2012

One small phone call that changed my world

God works in mysterious ways... One minute I'm a boring retail drone, the next I'm being whisked half a continent away to take a teaching position in the small town of Mossman, about an hour north of Cairns. Lovely little town, as long as you don't value a towns beauty by the amount of McDonald's, Nandos and KFC's in the general vicinity (because if you do you'll be sadly disappointed by the fact that the closest ones are probably in Cairns).

Having not left my dearest family and closest friends for such a long period of time, homesickness has been a big issue for me over the last couple of days, so it was suggested to me to create this blog as a way of keeping everyone in the loop with what is happening with me so far away from many of you. I will attempt to keep this up to date but you will have to forgive me if I miss a few days as the life of a teacher is very busy.

So what has happend so far...

Currently I'm holed up in a motel across the road from the school I will be teaching at. The room is serviceable, but there's no place like home - which is something I really don't have at the moment. However, I do have a unit supplied by good ole Dicky for a nominal rent, however it is unfurnished, not very useful for a good nights sleep. Furthermore, it appears to have been rather empty for a while son there is quite a great deal of dust, not particularly healthy. But mercy upon mercies it does have a fridge, stove, washing machine and clothesline so there's a lot of money that I don't have to spend to make it liveable thank God!

The last couple of days I've spent basically familiarising myself with school procedures and curriculum - quite a lot to take in in such a short space of time so it has crossed my mind to move into the staff room temporarily and turn into one of those teachers that spends so much time at school they may as well live there :) but everyone needs down time.

Anyway more to come later, hopefully with pictures once I can get a computer set up at school.

Love you xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment